The New Mutants movie announces its mutants
The X-Men are the dominant branch of Marvel’s family of mutant superheroes. Sometime in 2018, however, the New Mutants will become the second generation to get screen time. And now, we know which mutants have been naturally selected to appear in the film.
Presented by: Carol Pinchefsky
According to the Nerdist, we’ll be getting much of the core team of the New Mutants who first appeared in Marvel Graphic Novel #4: The New Mutants (1982):
- - Danielle Moonstar, aka Mirage. She can create illusions.
- - Sam Guthrie, aka Cannonball. He can fly within a force field.
- - Rahne Sinclair aka Wolfsbane. She can transform into a wolf.
- - Roberto da Costa, aka Sunspot. He can harness the power of the sun.
- - Illyana Rasputin, aka Magik. She’s pure awesome, and one of my favorite Marvel characters
- - Warlock. It’s an alien who merges with the mutant Cypher (long considered one of Marvel's least interesting mutants).
- Missing from this list is Xi'an Coy Manh/Karma, the original team leader. Perhaps at 19 years old, the character is too superannuated for this film, which is aimed at the same YA audience as The Hunger Games and Divergent.
- Casting hasn’t begun. However, the film’s screenwriters have also been announced: Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber, who worked with New Mutants’ director Josh Boone on The Fault in Our Stars.
What do you think of the lineup, both of characters and writers? Let us know in the comments how hilarious it would be if Domino, aka Copycat, aka Vanessa (Deadpool’s girlfriend in Deadpool) made a PG-13 appearance.